93 Thought-Provoking Journaling Prompts
If you’re reading this, I probably don’t need to sell you on the benefits of journaling.
It’s one of the foundational elements of the self-care checklist, and for good reason… it’s a quick, easy, and highly-effective micro-habit that’s a powerful tool in any self-care arsenal.
Whether it’s a brief pen-and-paper pause or an extended session in your favorite app — good news: both are equally as impactful — even a few minutes of intentional writing can make a difference. Like everything we practice in Self-Care Society, it takes very little time and can have a profound impact on your day.
Why? Journaling helps clear mental clutter and creates the space for more positive and productive thoughts, energy, and flow. Scientific evidence even supports that journaling provides a huge number of mental and overall wellness benefits.
According to Maud Purcell, LCSW, CEAP:
“The act of writing accesses the left brain, which is analytical and rational. While your left brain is occupied, your right brain is free to create and feel. Writing in a journal removes mental blocks and allows you to use all of your brainpower to better understand yourself, others, and the world around you.”
In sum, journaling helps you…
- Create mental space
- Decrease stress and anxiety
- Clarify your thoughts and feelings
- Get to know yourself better
- Understand others better
- Solve problems more effectively
- Improve self-discipline and consistency
- Boost memory function
- Promote mindfulness
- Make the space to dream
“We typically problem solve from a left-brained, analytical perspective. But sometimes the answer can only be found by engaging right-brained creativity and intuition. Writing unlocks these other capabilities, and affords the opportunity for unexpected solutions to seemingly unsolvable problems.”
And since a little inspiration never hurts, here are 93 thought-provoking prompts to help guide your next journaling sesh…
93 Thought-Provoking Journaling Prompts
- Are you holding onto something that you need to let go of?
- What does heroic mean to you? Who are your biggest heroes?
- What is something challenging that you’ve recently overcome?
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
- What is the easiest self-care checklist win for you? What is the hardest?
- What in life are you glad didn’t work out like you thought it should?
- What is the most life-changing book you’ve ever read and why?
- How can you use your time most wisely today?
- What do you hope for the next generation?
- Do you feel supported today? Why or why not?
- What is on your bucket list?
- What are some words that you live by?
- Make a list of 10 things that make you smile.
- Who are 3 people you feel lucky to have in your life? Why?
- Are you feeling stressed today? What can you do to alleviate that stress?
- What are you putting off currently, and why?
- When was the last time you felt most alive?
- What are you interested in learning more about this month?
- What is your unique purpose in life?
- What would your perfect day look like?
- Are you living in alignment with your values? Why or why not?
- What was the hardest thing you’ve ever gone through? What did you learn from it?
- Nobody knows that I…
- Who is someone that you need to forgive? What’s stopping you?
- Write the words you need to hear today.
- What was the most fun you’ve ever had?
- What is something you’d do if you weren’t so afraid of it?
- Which acts of self care truly make you happy?
- What is the dominant emotion in your life right now?
- What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
- What’s your wildest dream?
- What is a grand adventure that you wish you could go on?
- If you could become an expert in any subject or activity, what would it be?
- Imagine the kind of world you would love to live in. What is it like?
- How do you share your gifts with the world?
- What qualities do you value most in a friend?
- How do you calm your nerves in a difficult situation?
- What are 3 things that make you feel productive?
- What are you most looking forward to this week?
- What is your love language? What role has that played in your relationships?
- What are some beliefs you have about money?
- What scares you the most at the moment?
- What is one experience that you will never forget?
- How can you have a better day today than you did yesterday?
- Are you good at receiving compliments? Why or why not?
- What would you do today if there was no tomorrow?
- Do you have a weekly challenge this week? If so, what is it?
- How would life be different if you stopped living so much in the past?
- What are 5 things that make you smile?
- What are your favorite self-care pro tips / hacks?
- What do you want people to remember about you?
- When do you feel the most energized and alive?
- What topic are you looking to learn more about?
- How have you evolved on your self love journey?
- How is your relationship with social media?
- Are you good at setting boundaries? Why or why not?
- What do you do for a living? What do you want to do?
- What are some healthy ways that you deal with stress?
- How do you define success? How will you know when you achieve it?
- Are you getting enough rest? If not, why?
- What have you been ignoring that you should probably give some attention to today?
- If you could spend a year living anywhere in the world, where would you live?
- What’s the last big risk you took?
- How does nostalgia make you feel?
- What are some recent victories you can celebrate?
- What are you most proud of in your life so far?
- What are the 3 most “insignificant” things in your life that you are grateful for?
- If you could ask for help with one thing today, what would it be?
- How do you feel about the passing of time?
- How do you maintain balance in life?
- What is a needless negative thought that keeps coming up?
- Which 3 affirmations are most impactful to you right now?
- What does financial freedom mean to you?
- What is a big dream that you sometimes feel scared to say out loud?
- What is the top priority in your life right now?
- What is something brave that you’ll do today?
- What is holding you back currently? Why?
- What distractions do you always fall prey to?
- What is your favorite creative activity? When was the last time you did it?
- What personal needs are you sacrificing to meet the needs of others?
- What is the most important lesson you’ve learned this year?
- What’s something fun that you’ll do today?
- What does unconditional love look like for you?
- What are you currently manifesting the most?
- Describe a time that you did something even though you were scared.
- How can you be kinder to yourself this week?
- What do your friends love most about you?
- If you could erase one thing from the past, what would it be and why?
- Which self-care rituals serve you the most?
- What do you wish you could tell yourself on the first day of high school?
- What lesson would you most like to pass on to the next generation?
- When does your life feel like magic?
- What helps you slow down and feel more present?
And there you have it! 93 prompts to help inspire you the next time you crack open that journal.
Still not enough? Self-Care Society members have unlimited access to daily, random self-care prompts — an ever-growing list of 500+.
To the hundreds of SCS superstars who have shared so thoughtfully and vulnerably in the community already: thank you. Reflecting and sharing openly is so deeply helpful to others — serving as an inspiration, breeding connection, and giving one another the space and permission to both be human and dream big.
We’re not alone in our fears, hopes, and desires… and sometimes a little reminder of that goes a long, long way. Whether you use these prompts for your personal journal practice, or feel called to put something out into the universe in class or the community, the choice is yours and you’ll reap the rewards either way.
So what are you waiting for? Don’t worry about spelling, grammar, handwriting, or even ever reading it again. Journaling is meant to serve the now.
Just keep that pen moving, and see how it makes you feel.